March 12th

Day 72
Turn, Magic Wheel 82-92
8.044 read, -1.220

So, I'm actually writing this on April 18th, as well as many after this.  Skip to April 18th and read that day's posts to understand better.

I have reimagined the way I calculate results (also on April 18th) and also the way I will post the results here.  I wanted that part of the posts to be shorter and just include the most important numbers since I'm now keeping a more detailed track on a spreadsheet.  It may look confusing at first glance but I'll explain; it's actually pretty simple.

I've eliminated some unnecessary information, such as the daily total number of pages I've read (you can figure that out anyway just looking at the book pages read) and also the total goal for each day (you can figure that out anyway just by adding the total amount I've read to the amount to go/amount ahead I am, if you're so inclined.

Then, to cut down on how much I need to type each day, I've eliminated the words "pages" and "books".  I know it doesn't sound like much, but it makes it harder to type each day having to re-type those words or scroll past them!  Just trust me, ha.  But it should still be eminently readable.  Just look at the numbers after the book title and that's the pages I've read, simple simple.

The most drastic change is that I'm now putting my "Total" and "Results" on the same line and really condensing the information.  Here's how to read it:

-The first number is the "total" read (why I still type "read" after it) and I've put the pages into a decimal. So, before the decimal are the number of books read, after the decimal is the number of pages.  So, "8.044" means 8 books and 44 pages read so far.  Obviously, I use three decimal places because I'll be counting to 260 in the decimals.  So, in a way you can think of it like actual decimals except that instead of adding up a number after 1000, it will count up a number after 260.  It may sound confusing if you're not into maths but trust me it's simple!

Then, on the same line, after the comma, is the "result", or how much behind or ahead I am from my goal at the moment.  It uses the same decimal system.  And it will always have a "+" or a "-".  Obviously the plus symbol means I'm ahead that much, while the minus symbol means I'm behind that much.

So, simple, today, the third line at the top means as of today, I've read 8 books and 44 pages this year for the challenge, and I am behind my goal by 1 book and 220 pages.  If you were so inclined to add it all up, you'd get that my goal today is 10.004, or 10 books and 4 pages, which is what 8.044 and 1.220 add up to!

Got it?  Good! ;)

Then, the last change is just eliminating any spaces at the top so my daily tallies now should fit in those top 3 lines, and really only the second and third line since the first is just the day number.  I did want to keep including the day because I like how it give the feeling of counting up towards something steadily every day no matter what my totals are.

And remember (from April 18th posts), now the goal is 42 pages per day, and Saturdays are 0 pages per day, so if you're adding up yourself, once a week on Saturday you'll notice the formula happens differently like that.

I hope this all isn't too confusing for a  viewer but the hope is that for me, the daily writing of it will be much simpler to keep up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment