April 21st

Day 112, 103 pages
12.230 read, -2.162
A Room with a View 175-182
The Princess Bride 30th Anniversary 2-24, 224-279
A View without a Room 1-2
A Room with a View Annotated Excerpts 1-8
Sylvie and Bruno Complete 2, 7-8, 18-20

Just trying a slight change to the way I list things above.  Possibly adding back in total pages per day (103 today) though I'm not sure if it's necessary.  Also switching places so that the total read and +/- are the second line followed by the books and page numbers I read today rather than the other way around.  I may keep it this way or switch back. Fascinating stuff, I'm sure!

Today way a busy reading day. I finished A Room with a View, lovely book, though I was surprised it ended up being half in England.  When you start reading it seems as if it'll be all in Italy.  I fished out the not-so-good essay that Forster did in the 1950's, an "update" to the story entitled "A View without a Room" that tells us what happened from book's end to the time of his essay.  It was very short, 2 pages, and actually somewhat dim and depressing, not giving a terrible outcome, but not a very bright one either.  Then I actually bought a cheap different version of the book because mine wasn't annotated.  So in this other version, I just read the introduction and the annotations which is why I added "Excerpts" to the book's title to differentiate it.  I need to keep the books separate for page number counting's sake.

Then, I also bought a different version of The Princess Bride so that I could read the "sequel" chapters Buttercup's Baby.  It's not really a sequel but rather a long teaser to a sequel that never came (yet, anyway).  It also came with two introductions (one for the 25th anniversary and one for the 30th anniversary) written by the author himself that in a way were part of the story as well (or rather, part of the "sequel" story), as they added to the mythos as if he were still in the fiction of the book.

Finally, I decided of my "to do" books that it was time for some Carroll.  I have quite a few on my list and the next in line was "The Hunting of the Snark" but I wanted to order the annotated edition and I had to order it paperback and chose a slow delivery (no reason to pay extra for faster delivery when I can just read something else until it arrives).  So it's now on its way.  But as for now, I still wanted to start on Carroll so I decided on Sylvie and Bruno which I found in the mobileread library for free.  I considered buying an annotated version but decided against it.  First, I wouldn't know the quality of the annotations until bought and second, this isn't a major work and I don't have to read annotations for *everything*, so I decided against annotations.

Also, the mobileread version is wonderfully formatted and chances are, an annotated ebook version would probably actually be formatted worse.  And, the mobileread version comes with both Sylvie and Bruno and its sequel Sylvie and Bruno Concluded all in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment