February 23rd

Day 54

The Remains of the Day - pages 20-62 (43 pages)

Goal - 7 books 178 pages
Total - 6 books 75 pages
Result - 1 book 103 pages to reach goal

I finished Tender Is The Night! Really liked it, though the ending was sad. I will post a full review on it eventually; at the moment I'm more focused on my reading and daily updates but hopefully at least after and if I get caught up with my goal, then I can take some time to do the extra stuff I want.

Remains is going very well. It's very short! Only a little over 150 pages, so I'll be done with it in a few days probably. LOL, when I started the change in quality of writing between Tender and Remains was obvious; it really made me realise the masterful quality of the writing by Fitzgerald. Not to say that Remains is bad. Only plainer, though written very nicely.

At first I wasn't so into it just because of the difference in writing quality, but he's slowly and surely pulling me in. There was a great evocative passage about sunlight that I just loved, when the narrator has just described how Miss Kenton loves watching the sunset from a second floor room and had related an occurrence seen at one of those times:

"Indeed, it must have occurred on just one of those summer evenings she mentions, for I can recall distinctly climbing to the second landing and seeing before me a series of orange shafts from the sunset breaking the gloom of the corridor where each bedroom door stood ajar."

It's a small simple passage, not flowery at all, but I could picture it so well and those beautiful orange shafts.

Not surprisingly, even though the film is very good, I'm liking the book much more and, being so short, wondering why some things that I liked were left out over other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment