February 27th

Day 58

The Remains of the Day - pages 139-168 (30 pages)
The Iliad, Lattimore/Martin edition, pages 546-548 (3 pages)
Total - 33 pages

Goal - 8 books 66 pages
Total - 6 books 184 pages
Result - 1 book 142 pages to reach goal

Finished Remains easily, wish it were a little longer! Nice little book.

Went back to the Iliad, which I'd finished the main text but not the notes or Intro, so started on the notes. Wow, much different reading experience. Much slower. And, I'm really quite disappointed because these are basic annotations that weren't referenced in the text. It would've been much better reading them as I read the text.

Since they weren't linked, from the first little bit I read of them earlier I'd assumed they'd be more essay-ish and spoiler-y, so more appropriate to read after the text was finished. But nope, they're just ordinary annotations really. What's extra annoying is that there *are* links in the annotations to the text in question, but in the text there are no links to the annotations, so if you were trying to read the annotations as you read the text, you'd have to manually every so often go to annotations and see what might've been annotated from what you just read. Ridiculous really, given the quality of the rest of this edition. I wonder if there were no links to the annotations in the physical paper copy? Because it's silly.

But at least in a paper copy, it's easier to flip quickly to the annotations page which you could have a bookmark in. With an ebook, especially on a slow machine like mine, having to manually go to the annotations all the time would be very time-consuming. Also, it asks me to compare some annotations to other parts of the book and gives me the chapter/line numbers but no links. In a paper copy, fine, it'd be easy to flip through and find it quickly. In an ebook, much harder. I'd have to manually go to the table of contents, then go to the link for that chapter, then start slowly flipping pages until I get to the right line number. Or I could try to guess the page number and search by page number and hope for the best. Either way, so time consuming that I've just not bothered to look at anything anything but the main inked text for each annotation.

I mean, do the people who put these books/ebooks together take time to think what would be convenient? It's really silly.

So anyway, rant over, I'm going slowly because each annotation I'm having to link back to the text and see what it's referring to, then manually go back to the annotations for the next one. This will be a challenge, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment