Day 5

Iliad - pages 173-194 (22)
Black Rain - pages 31-64 (34)
Total today - 56 pages
Grand total - 172 pages read/185 pages goal

Movin' on up! :)

I outdid day 4 by a few pages and am that much closer now to catching up to my accumulated daily goal.

Iliad was still good. Finished book 6, which is our reading group's goal for January 9th, so I'm good there. Black Rain discussion starts on the 20th, so after finishing book 6 of the Iliad, I moved back to Black Rain.

Black Rain is still not going well for me. I know it wasn't the author's intention, but I consider it like those who gawk at a terrible tragedy, all these descriptions he's giving just seem excessive and unnecessary to me.

When it got the the uncle's day on the day of the bomb, that's when it really starts to get graphic. He happened to be closer than the others in his family to the blast and so saw and experienced much more horrors.

I don't know, it's just not appealing to me at all. I'm still hoping it will surprise me, but as of now I think it's almost exploitative. I know many would feel it's good as a reminder of war and a recollection of the exact kinds of things experienced that day and beyond, but I say leave that to nonfiction. This fiction seems too much. To someone like me who already knows so much about it and doesn't need lessons on the horrors of war, it's really unnecessary.

Well, if it continues in this vein you may get to read my unhappy reviews about it for a while more until I finish it! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment