January 9th, Day 9


Black Rain - pages 179-242 (64 pages read)

Goal - 1 book 73 pages
Total read - 1 book 89 pages
Result - 17 pages ahead of goal!


Caught up to my goal again and am near the end of Black Rain now (thank God). Now that I am nearing the end, I've softened a bit on the book. It is still just as I thought it would be, but, you know, life's too short to spend too much time criticising something like this. It's not a terrible book, and I'm sure many would say it's great.

Though I think I know how the story will wrap up, I'll wait until I'm finished to give an opinion/review of the entire work. FYI, I'll put it in a spoiler tag, but here's what I think will happen:

Spoiler:
It seems grim for Yasuko as she has developed a bad case of radiation sickness, has lost her front teeth and has sores all over, extreme pain and is losing hair, very gruesome. But uncle Shigematsu has found a case where a very bad sufferer of radiation sickness, who was very close to the blast center and almost everyone gave up hope for, miraculously survived. I thought at first young Yasuko was a goner, especially with her losing her teeth, but because of the survivor's story, I think she'll survive as well to give a hopeful ending to the book. But she's so sick that it could go either way..

No comments:

Post a Comment