January 26th - Day 26

Leaves of Grass, 150th Anniversary Edition - pages 198-199 (2 pages)

Goal - 3 books 182 pages
Total - 3 books 33 pages
Result - 149 pages to reach goal

Well, what can I say, I've had a slow few days but it was always to be expected. I never thought I'd go 366 days in a row reading 37 pages exactly a day. The daily number is just a way to know how close I am to a current average. I'm sure there will be other times I take a day or two or even more and not read as much as well, to be made up other days.

That said, it's still going to be a challenge catching up so far! :O Heh, I'm content with it though, I will have some easier books coming up eventually whereas the beginning of this year has been some difficult reads - Black Rain, Iliad and Leaves of Grass.

I'm so close to finishing this edition of Leaves, then I'll be jumping back to the deathbed edition. And also, the Iliad should be finished around Monday so I might jump over to it too to get it finished soon. Although, when I finish the body of the Iliad, there's about a hundred pages of notes that I haven't read yet so I'll be reading those, and I anticipate ordering a "companion" book to the Iliad to read soon.

As far as upcoming books, we have a romance theme for the general book club this month. I'm not a sappy romance fan at all, but if it's a really well-written intelligent romance, the big secret is that I can be a hopeless romantic....if I'm not rolling my eyes at bad writing!

The finalists are Tender is the Night by Fitzgerald and Outlander by somebody. I wanted to read my own nomination, "I Captured the Castle"....not a strict romance per se but it's about first love. But it didn't get enough votes...bah, it wasn't available as an e-book in the U.S. which stopped some people voting for it!

But the finalists both interest me so I'm glad. Won't be another Black Rain month THANK GOD! I was a little worried that I might have to read a Harlequin romance (one was nominated) or something even worse, which I would have just to see but wouldn't have been too enthused about it.

I loved reading The Great Gatsby so I voted for Tender is the Night in the run-off poll. I don't know much about Outlander except that it's also like sci-fi mixed with historical fiction and romance so sounds kind of odd. It's got high ratings from people on some sites...but you know so does some bad popular muck so you never know. If it's chosen I'll go in hoping for the best, as I always do.

Whichever is the winner, I am looking forward to something a bit lighter than what I've been reading. LOL to call Fitzgerald lighter but against Homer, Hiroshima and 400-page poetry, it definitely is!

No comments:

Post a Comment