January 22nd - Day 22

Leaves of Grass, 150th Anniversary Edition - pages 64-106 (43 pages)

Goal - 3 books 34 pages
Total - 2 books 204 pages
Result - 90 pages to reach goal


Wow, I actually finished the main body of Leaves of Grass! The first poem "Song of Myself" is very long, but after that they're all shorter. In fact, I'd say the preface plus the first poem is longer than all the other poems combined. But I'm only halfway done with the book because there is an afterward, notes and other things to read in it now.

I have already read a few pages of the afterward, and wow, I feel like I'm a speedreader now! Seriously, going from poetry to normal text, I just started zooming comparatively.

Leaves was really a great book. In parts it can kind of go on and on, and some of the smaller later poems seem unnecessary (such as, there's one about King George's skeletal remains coming to America...) but the overall idea is fantastic. I love the joy of spirit that he espouses.

No comments:

Post a Comment