January 19th - Day 19

Iliad - pages 397-432 (36 pages)
Leaves of Grass, 150th Anniversary - pages 11-14 (4 pages)

Goal - 2 books 183 pages
Total - 2 books 112 pages
Result - 71 pages to reach goal

I found I'd made a slight error a few days ago in my goal totals so fixed that today, and it helped me by a few pages.

I've now finished through book 18 of the Iliad, which is our stopping point until next week, so I'm good to go on that. And then next week will be the final week.

And it's getting good! Though I liked it up to this point, when Patroklos goes into battle, things really heat up. He dies, the beloved companion of Achilleus (was it sexual? who knows) and Achilleus mourns him then decides to go into battle to kill the killer of Patroklos even though he knows he himself will die, as he'd already been told by his mother an immortal that if he fought there he'd die there but if he went home without fighting he'd live to be an old man.

And so that's where I'm at.

So then I turned to Leaves of Grass again and as mentioned have decided on a different course of reading the shorter first edition first. This one begins with a preface by Whitman, so all I've read so far is a few pages of the preface. Well, until tomorrow, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment